Is your community in danger
of becoming a news desert?
Has your town already become one?
Who will save local news?
Why not you?
Local news is suffering nationwide. Together, we can fix that. Think you can cover your hometown better than the dying local paper? Become a Patch community publisher! Did your newspaper or news site recently undergo a round of layoffs? Become a Patch community publisher! Want to be your own boss without the headache of a pesky editor hounding you for a story? Become a Patch community publisher!
We give you the journalism, marketing and sales tools, as well as a playbook and training. You cover the meetings, write the features and shoot the photos. We give you a top-tier tech team dedicated to constantly improving one of America's top 50 most-visited websites. You get the benefit of a professional, name-brand platform you don't have to maintain, pay for or fix on your own. We give you the ad products and back-shop support. You recruit the sponsors and cash the checks from local supporters and businesses.
We supply every tool you need to thrive as a local journalism entrepreneur:
- a robust, reliable content management system, optimized for SEO with powerful user-content tools
- a user-driven events calendar, neighbors content, classifieds and business posts
- partner content and automated press releases to supplement your coverage
- a commission-based local ad system with back-shop sales support
- a community-centric donor support platform
- a newsletter and news alert email system
- awesome news/social discovery tools like Dataminr and Crowdtangle
- product, sales and editorial training, and a dedicated company liaison
Experience covering local news required. Familiarity with marketing or sales is a plus. The best candidates have strong civic and business-community connections and are passionate about fulfilling their community's need for local news.